Monday, August 17, 2009

9.58! Bolt sets world record again

BERLIN, Aug. 16 (Xinhua) -- Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt of Jamaica set a new world record of 9.58 seconds as he stormed to a stunning victory in the men's 100m at the World Championships in the Olympic Stadium here on Sunday.

The 22-year-old Bolt took control of the race after only 30 meters, shaved 0.11 seconds off his own world record of 9.69 seconds set exactly a year ago today set at the Bird Nest national stadium at the Beijing Olympic Games.

"I was definitely ready for the world record and I did it," Bolt said. "I didn't think I could run a tenth (of a second) faster than my world record, but for me, anything is possible."

No one had ever sliced so much off the men's 100m world record before. Previously, both he and Maurice Greene shaved 0.05 from the standard to be crowned the World's Fastest Man. A few days ago, Greene suggested that Bolt and other top sprinters weren't currently on the same planet.

Defending champion Tyson Gay, who won three gold medals two years ago in Osaka, finished second despite a U.S. national record of 9.71 seconds. Another Jamaican Asafa Powell, a former world record holder, took the bronze in 9.84.

"I'm disappointed to have lost the race, but i ran my fastest time," Gay said.

Bolt started a little slow from the blocks, but he took control after only 30 meters and crossed the finish line before a boisterous crowed. The crowed roared and roared as he ran a victory lap. It reminded the people all over the world of last year's exciting moment at Beijing.

"I knew it was going to be a great race and I came out and executed it. It's a great time. I did well and I feel good in myself."

Gay, who vowed earlier to beat Bolt in the race, was left no chance.

"I did my best," said Gay. "I did good. It just wasn't good enough."

Bolt's fellow Jamaican Asafa Powell was very happy after finishing third in 9.84 seconds.

"I am so excited about Usain's run tonight, it is great to be part of this. 9.58s - that is a thing tonight. It shows that it is possible. I am stunned. "

source : http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-08/17/content_11893696.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment